What’s Going On in the Four Horsemen Universe?
I’ve had a lot of people ask about the Four Horsemen universe, and specifically how it’s going to work moving forward. Others have noted that Mark Wandrey and I are using a “non-traditional approach” to how we’re writing in this universe and wondered how it works. It’s time for a “look behind the veil.”
First, what to expect in the universe. The first series of books, the Revelations Cycle, has ten books out (and one soon to be)–four main story line novels, two standalone books that will be tied in (Peacemaker and Assassin), a third standalone book (Alamo), a back story novel (Alpha Contracts) and three anthologies to help expand the universe. They are:
- “Cartwright’s Cavaliers” by Mark (available here)
- “Asbaran Solutions” by Chris (available here)
- “Winged Hussars” by Mark (available here)
- “The Golden Horde” by Chris (available here)
- “A Fistful of Credits“ edited by Chris and Mark (available here)
- “Peacemaker” by Kevin Ikenberry (available here)
- “For a Few Credits More“ edited by Chris and Mark (available here)
- “The Good, The Bad, And The Merc“ edited by Chris and Mark (available here)
- “CASPer Alamo” by Eric S. Brown and Jason Brannon (available here)
- “Alpha Contracts” by Chris and Mark (available here)
- “Assassin” by Kacey Ezell and Marisa Wolf (coming soon)
Although these books are generally “stand-alone,” there is some crossover between them, and there is a story line building in the background, which the anthologies contribute to, as well. Generally, the first four books should be read in order, although the others can be read in whenever you’d like.
The main story line for the Revelations Cycle ends with The Golden Horde and will resume with the next series, the “Omega Wars.” In addition to the main story line series of the Omega Wars by Mark and Chris, there will be a number of tie-in books by other authors. If that isn’t enough, there is more we have mapped out to follow the Omega Wars (so settle in and enjoy; you will continue to get your fill!) Additionally, there are two prequel short stories that are available for joining the mailing on this site (on the left side of the page) and on Mark’s website.
Second, the non-standard approach. I’m happy to tell you, it is working great! We coordinate everything and have a Google Doc set up so we don’t have any issues. As the chief publisher for the series, I’m also there to make sure the canon stays pure, even though we are nominally writing separately from each other. That will change when we get to the main story line, as we will work together on those books. Throughout the series, though, you should see a fairly constant style and substance, because we are very much together on the books, even when they are written by “the other guy.” If you like one, you’ll like the other.
We are hoping to lead a renaissance in quality, message-free military science fiction and thank you for your support in making it happen! Check out the first four covers below:
Click here to return to the Mark Wandrey page.
Click here to return to the Chris Kennedy page.